Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wisdom from Bruce

Dr. Loy,

In the Disney film Finding Nemo Bruce the shark wisely realizes that "I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food."
. His main point being that in order to improve sharks as a whole, he had to individually decide to alter his habits, through awareness of his instinctive "mindless"behavior. In the last chapter of your book Money Sex War Karma, you clearly acknowledge that it is imperative to focus on first focusing on individual improvement and adjustment in order to ultimately achieve societal improvement. Three areas, i.e. the three poisons of society: institutionalized greed, ill-will, and delusion that require societal change depend on individual awareness, which one attains through Buddhist practice. I feel that this point is greatly essential when discussing the problems society encounters, and I do not believe that this point is emphasized enough throughout the rest of your book.

Caroline Culig

No comments:

Post a Comment