Sunday, November 14, 2010

What Can We Do?

Dr. Loy,

In your chapter "What Would the Buddha Do?", you mention many crises that we face in our world today. Environmental collapse, poverty, and war are just a few serious issues that I have come to feel both guilty towards and responsible for. I admire your call to readers to address this suffering but am at a loss as to how to do so. You mention that we must not wait to overcome our own suffering before addressing others, which has helped me realize the fact that I frequently make excuses for my lack of action, but where do we go from there? I believe that your main point in the chapter is that our acknowledgement of interdependence is part of the solution. Once we realize our interconnectedness, do you have any concrete suggestions as to how we can use this to create change?

Suzanna Kearns

No comments:

Post a Comment