Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fame!

I do not know if I fully agree with Loy's ideas of fame. I think that people often confuse fame with love, not that they constantly seek solely fame. An absence of abundant affection 24/7 astounds people when they look at celebrities who are so loved they have stalkers and restraining orders. It is not entirely fair to categorize all those who seek affection as "fame whores". Some just seek to be remembered by one, not be millions. However, there are may people in the world who do seek to only be famous for the sake of being famous. There is no blanket statement.
I thought it was funny how the last two paragraphs defended The Dalai Lama's fame. Naturally, this would have been stated. This is a book about Buddhism; he is the leader of Buddhist. However, I don't think it's fair to say that people who become famous seek to do so. The Chilean miners did not seek to be trapped underground for months. I think they would rather be poor nobodies rather than stranded in a mine shaft. I also agree with Loy that it is more important to be a humanitarian than be famous for being famous. Life is impermanent. There is no real point of trying to hoard money if you are going to die. It is a better investment to help others than let it sit in your bank account.

Molly Soffietti

No comments:

Post a Comment