Thursday, November 18, 2010

Buddhism, I Like You, But I'd Rather We Just Be Friends.

It is extremely unlikely that I will one day pursue true enlightenment and detachment from the world. Honestly, one of my goals in life is to not live outside of craving or hope or even suffering, because I view these as important aspects of life, and I certainly do not intend to miss out on all I can experience through my beautiful emotions, overreactions and imperfections. I couldn't even be a monk if i wanted to! On the whole, there is entirely no motivation for me to seriously pursue much of ANYTHING in the way of Buddhism. I'm not striving for a "Buddhist Revolution" in any way. Despite my lack of determination to ever pursue a path of enlightenment, I still find Buddhist ideals and principles interesting, and at times helpful. However, it seems that in a discussion of Buddhist ideals, the main goal is always reaching enlightenment and realizing the truths of the universe and blah blah blah...it doesn't really seem like this is a one-foot-in-one-foot-out sort of thing, so my question is, if I have no intention of attempting to reach enlightenment in this lifetime, is there really any place in Buddhism for me?

-Halea

No comments:

Post a Comment